Sunday

22.05.11

I've been frequently staying at my dad's place for a quite some time now, and being my little baby brother is living here I've been spending some time with him as well. So every now and then I would examine the toys lil xavier plays with, and I sometimes feel bad because he isn't as well blessed with earthly possessions like me and my older siblings when we were at very young age.
And I remembered how i was so attached to my toys, up until i was old enough for school and older. Why were these things so fascinating?

I was never really impressed with features, or price, or brand of a toy. It was the detail and functionality that draws me in. The whole idea of one toy being able to be everything and do anything is amazing. I mean most toys these days can do one thing and one thing only, where's the fun in that. Most toys are limited to a franchise or brand. Everything stopped being imaginative, it became another method to sell off an image. I'd like to believe slowly everywhere kids are getting dumber because of it.

I could recall my toys being an expression of my imagination. I could spend hours and hours in my room with endless joy. It was more than a time waster, it was a whole tool of expression and creation for me. Good toys have that amazing ability to reach inside the inner creative part of your mind. For example Legos; I could make a bet that people who have designed something contributing to everyday life today, have been introduced to Lego products at a young age. Toys we're not just items that induce cheap thrills, it had the same characteristics of a paint brush. And i could remember the day I stopped playing around and started to hang out with people, it was the day that i realized that i could not be anything i wanted to be or do anything i wanted like my toys. Limitations started existing, boundaries, obstacles, rules. Simply life became harder.

It seems like being happy is harder when you grow older. It doesn't become as simple as living your life as high as you raised the bar. You have to think about finance, social status, and all the junk you come across into your evolving life. And It terrifies me.